Wednesday, November 4, 2009

RE story: the first time is a charm

Yes, this is my lunch: friend shrimp po-boy, diet coke, and two pamphlets titled "Understanding Laparoscopy" and "Hysteroscopy."

And chocolate chip cookies that I made last night before bed.

So, the RE appointment was emotional and a bit more thorough than I thought it would be. They took my height, weight, and BP (138-86!!!) and then I met the doctor. Dr. S is amazing and comforting. I broke down in tears when she asked me about my sisters and their lady parts histories--what a ridiculous time to bawl (mascara running down my face! I wore mascara in the hopes I would will myself not to cry), but she was so kind and patient with my outburst. DH was surprisingly awesome, too. We were in the consult room for about 30 minutes and then she diagnosed me with severe menorrhagia and endo based on my history and all tests completed thus far.

I was shocked that she was able to do this. I honestly expected some BS like wanting to do (or redo) the bloodwork and tests in their lab, etc., you know, just to get more money. But it wasn't like that at all!

Next stage was that I got a internal ultrasound (dildo-cam) which confirmed uterine abnormalities (polyps, possible endo). The good news is that my ovary looked like it had ovulated.

Dr. S wants to do a lap and hysteroscopy asap, so I am tentatively scheduled for December 22 (Merry Christmas, right?) This date works out well because I am off from school at that time so I'll be able to recover without having to worry about missing days.

Dr. S thinks cleaning out the 'ol Ute and doing an ovary stimulation might be the direction we will go.

I know there is more to write about, and I plan to do some careful meditation on the experience soon. I had heard from some of you ladies about the waiting room, the lack of eye contact, the sadness, the angry husband paying the bill, bitching about how he's broke, mortgaged the house. I don't know if it is because I am a writer or what, but I tend to become absorbed in the "other" around me and drink it all up. I plan to write about these things very soon, and will share them on my blog.

BP 120/70 on the way out.

And, it only cost me my $40 copay because my diagnosis was a medical condition, not IF.

Today, the answers, the knowing and the still unknowing...it was a good day.

7 comments:

adsf said...

I'm glad you had a good doctors visit. I'm probably getting a lap in December too, and I agree - merry dang Christmas to me.
Your doc sounds great, btw. :)

Jill said...

I'm so glad you felt good about it and that you have A Plan. It is always good to have A Plan. Hope it turns into a very happy holiday season!

addingtothepack said...

Wow, good to know they have not revamped those pamphlets since the 1980s! Check out those photos.

I am so glad that you got some good answers -- that were covered by insurance no less. What a banner RE visit (you know, if there were such a thing).

Circus Princess said...

Just finding an RE that you like and trust is a HUGE step. I'm happy things are moving in the right direction sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Happy that you found a RE that you like, sad that you have to go through all the tests & surgery. If you need any advice on the Lap or Hysto, let me know. Had mine this past APril !

Panamahat said...

CJ, thanks for dropping by and leaving me a comment. :) I am glad your doctors appointment went so well, and you have something tangible to try next. Good luck with the lap & hysto. x

My Vegas said...

Thanks y'all. I am totally digging the pamphlets, though. Seriously...can they be any more goofy looking?